Resources for Struggling Adoptive ParentsDecember 9, 2020
Creating an Adoption Plan: What to ExpectDecember 9, 2020
Facing an unexpected pregnancy is overwhelming, especially if you’re not sure whether you should raise the baby yourself or place them for adoption. Both are wonderful and life-changing options, and you can make the right decision for your baby by asking yourself a few questions first.
The following questionnaire will help you consider your finances, support systems, beliefs, and long-term goals as you decide which path to take for your child.
Here are a few things to consider when trying to decide if you’re ready to be a parent:
Home & Emotional Support
- Who will emotionally support me during my pregnancy? Will they still support me if I decide to parent my child?
- Do I have people in my life who can help me raise/take care of the baby?
- Where will I live if I choose to raise my child? Do I have room in my home for them?
Income & Financial Resources
- What are my financial resources and/or income?
- What income will I need to pay for rent, formula, diapers, daycare, and baby supplies?
- Who will help me financially? (parents, a spouse/partner, etc.)
- Do I qualify for certain resources that could help me raise my child? (WIC, government assistance, etc.)
Personal Goals & Parenting Beliefs
- What are my long-term goals for myself? How will pregnancy and parenting affect those goals?
- What are my goals for this child?
- What is my concept of being a good parent to a child?
- How will I approve/disapprove of myself if I make an adoption plan?
Pros & Cons of Your Options
- What options have I considered?
- What are the immediate and long-term consequences of those options?
- What are the potential pros and cons for myself if I choose adoption?
- What are the potential pros and cons for myself if I choose parenting?
Still unsure whether you should raise your child or place them for adoption?
We can help you review your options while supporting you during your entire pregnancy.
Gifts of Grace Adoption Support Center has worked with expecting moms, adoptive families, and children in the Lafayette, Indiana community since 2013. We believe that quality, affordable, Christ-centered adoption services empower pregnant moms and dads, create thriving adoptive families, and help all children be placed in a loving home.